Friday 7 August 2009

The 4 hour work week



If you live in the US or UK (or read more press than me :-)) you probably heard about this book long before I did. But for me, picking up The 4 hour workweek by Timothy Ferriss was just a chance purchase in an airport book shop. All I can say is that it blew me away; over the years I'd dipped into various personal development books, which I've found to contain some good advice but for my liking they all talked too much about repeating affirmations to yourself, finding out God's purpose for you in life, and aspiring to be a rich perma-tanned older gentleman who plays a lot of golf (nothing wrong with all of that of course, but just not me). Timothy Ferris's book on the other hand is not remotely preachy and is not about making millions and retiring in luxury one day when you're old. His idea is having a life full of mini-retirements (what most of us would call sabbaticals), as life's just too short to be saving all the good times for some unkonwn date in the future. It focusses more on gaining freedom and mobility than simply cash (i.e. the ability to live and work wherever you want around the world) and at the same time earning enough money to do what you want in life (be that live on a Carribean island or becoming a best-selling author). And the idea is that you have the time and money do all this because you are working a mere 4 hours a week, as the title of the book suggests, running a luctrative business). He talks about a 'new rich', whose riches in essence are the fact that they're not tied down to a job (i.e. not being a wage-slave - like me - nor a wealthy entreprenuer who puts in 14-hour days and has little time to enjoy their money). All this sounds a bit far-fetched, but the fact is that after reading a few chapters you actually begin to see how, with the right type of business (in terms of product, marketing and loads of automated systems - so that you don't have to be tied to the office in person) it actually is possible. Project for 2010?

2 comments:

Anait said...

I just bought this book but have not started reading it yet....a four hour work week is my kind of work week! :) I found your blog through an expats in Madrid directory and, although I've only read a few entries, love it already! I'm moving to Madrid in a year so its nice to read about someone who is living my dream!

Nadya said...

Hi Anait! Glad you're enjoying the blog :-) The 4 hour work week is a really inspiring book,though I have to stay I'm still working a lot more than 4 hours a week! I'm sure you will enjoy lliving in Madrid, and let me know if you need any info/tips!
Nadya

Related Posts with Thumbnails